Me

Me

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Too Trendy for Work?

What is appropriate work attire? How can one incorporate the latest trends into her work wardrobe, while still adhering to standard codes of dress?

Is it just me or has the American office completely missed two decades of women’s fashion? I mean, do people really expect women in their twenties to wear the same clothes as their 40 and 50 something year old counterparts? Who are you, 50 year old, overweight hag, to tell me that my outfit is inappropriate or “too trendy.” I’m sorry, I had to wear this because Macy’s stopped making your pumpkin-orange, floral, walking suit, ten years ago. Yes, I have on a grey and pink pin-striped, pencil skirt, a navy cardigan and (an awesome) pair of purple and blue suede peep toes. And yes, I may look more like a store mannequin than a Program Manager; but, I also look like a young, professional. This is how we dress and will continue to do so. So, get used to it; because retirement is around the corner and soon more of your colleagues and even bosses will look more like me and less like you.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I feel you on that and I'm 40. Going through the same thing at work, 40, 50, 60 year olds that are stuck on what someone told them they should be like, look like and act like. It's a sign of people that have stop growing, stopped trying to figure themselves out. It's sad, but yes, they are fading on out, don't know it and obviously don't care. : ) Continue to do you. Check me out at www.living-by-divine-design.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shonda,

      Thank you!! You should see the looks I get! And I'm conservative in comparison with some of my friends! I'll be sure to check you out.
      Peace,
      G.

      Delete